However, if you're wondering how you'll pay for your mesothelioma treatment – or what might happen to your family when you're no longer able to work – talking to a mesothelioma lawyer should be one of the first steps you take.
Why is It Important to Contact a Mesothelioma Lawyer?The statute of limitations, which varies from state to state, limits the period of time within which you can file an asbestos claim. But a mesothelioma lawyer may still be able to recover damages on your behalf even if the common statute of limitations has passed.
What’s more, retaining a mesothelioma lawyer and filing a lawsuit may be the only chance you have to get compensation for medical expenses and lost income due to your asbestos exposure. An experienced asbestos law firm like Sokolove Law can fight for your rights and may be able to force the companies responsible for your injuries to cover your pain, suffering, expenses, and losses.
How to Find the Right Mesothelioma LawyerWhen you’re looking for a mesothelioma lawyer, it's hard not to get distracted by the lofty promises that many law firms make. However, try to stay focused in your search. To ensure you find a mesothelioma lawyer who will bring you positive results, ask each prospective attorney the following questions:
- How many mesothelioma cases have you handled? What was the primary outcome?
- Who will actually be handling my case?
- Will I be able to call my attorney with questions as needed?
- Will you accept my case on a contingency basis (meaning the law firm will only collect a fee if and when you collect a settlement)?
- Will my claim be handled on an individual basis or bundled with other cases?